“British Canoeing” 1 Star Award:
The British Canoeing One Star Course is a one-day introductory course to paddle-sports, which can be completed using kayaks or canoes, or a mix of both. The course covers the introductory skills required to start getting in control of moving your boat around, and an understanding of different types of boating, equipment, paddling skills, rescue skills and associated considerations.
The British Canoeing 1 Star Award Course Syllabus Includes:
• Safe moving of boats, launching, getting in and out
• Paddling forwards, steering and boat control
• Rescue skills and emptying capsized boats
• Considerations around canoeing and kayaking such as access, equipment, health and safety
“British Canoeing” 2 Star Award:
The British Canoeing Two Star Course is a two-day improver’s course, building on skills learned during the One Star course and introducing new ones. The course involves learning skills in both canoes and kayaks, learning to use both a single-bladed paddle (canoe) and a double-bladed paddle (kayak), to gain breadth of experience and understand how the paddle, boat and water interact. More in-depth boat handling skills are introduced and developed, and two different sheltered water locations are used during the course.
The British Canoeing Two Star Course Syllabus Includes:
• Efficient forwards paddling, steering & turning, moving sideways
• Manoeuvring in confined spaces
• Capsize prevention
• Rescue skills
• An assessed sheltered water journey
• Skills learnt in both canoes and kayaks